AMN Privacy and Data Security Policy
AMN complies with European and Romanian data protection law and takes all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorized access to your personal data. AMN respects your privacy and is committed to safeguarding the confidentiality of your personal information. This policy explains how and why AMN collects and uses the personal information of its members, customers and website visitors, and how AMN protects your privacy. When disclosing your personal information to us by using the registration form on our website, you consent to the collection, storage and processing of your personal information as stated in this policy. The personal information that we collect from you shall be obtained, processed and transmitted in compliance with applicable data protection legislation – the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and the Romanian National Supervisory Authority for Personal Data Processing. “Personal Information” means information that relates to a living individual who can be identified from that information or from that information together with other information which is held by or is likely to be held by us. This general policy is in addition to any specific policies concerning specific products or services. It may be amended at any time.
How AMN collects personal information
AMN is an association which combines a wide range of activities in the field of neurotraumatology, including:
- Provision of Membership Services.
- Collection and dissemination of scientific information.
- Organization of scientific congresses and events.
- Provision of other products and services.
This may require the handling of personal information of the individuals involved in these activities and hence AMN collects personal information in a number of ways from a number of sources. This information may be communicated to AMN on paper forms received through the postal services or by fax, or electronically through registration on AMN website and use of AMN’s online services (‘registration form’) or through other electronic forms made available through partner websites. The sources of personal information received by AMN are:
- The individuals themselves.
- Third parties acting on behalf of individuals (e.g. an agent arranging registration or hotel accommodation for an AMN organized Congress).
- Affiliated Associations providing details of their Members (Note: Members of National Neurotraumatology Societies and Corresponding Societies are also members of AMN by virtue of their association’s affiliation to AMN).
Where we receive personal information about individuals from sources other than the individuals themselves (e.g. for AMN membership or congress registrations), we will take all practical steps to contact the person concerned to advise of their rights to oppose the use of their data or to correct it. The principal ways in which AMN collects personal information are:
- When you register personal details when creating or updating your membership status on AMN Website.
- When you, or an agent or other third party acting on your behalf, enter personal details on a form requesting an AMN product or service (e.g. when registering for an AMN organized Congress/events).
- When you, or someone on your behalf, submits proposals or content in connection with scientific sessions or blog at an AMN organized Congress/events or meeting (e.g. Abstracts submission).
- When you enter personal details on a form applying to become an AMN member.
What personal information is collected by the AMN
Mandatory Personal Information
As a general rule, the following minimum information must be provided in order for your order, request, application, etc. to be processed: Nominative Information – Title, First Name(s), Family Name(s): Your nominative details are needed to correctly identify you, to communicate with you, to provide you with the products and services you have requested and to ensure that items are properly labelled as yours (e.g. congress badges and scientific contributions Additional personal information, which is mandatory for persons applying for membership on AMN website is the Email address: Your email address is needed in order to communicate with you. Additionally, because we only permit a particular email to be used once in our system, it reduces the possibility of duplicates. Emailing Preference: We ask you to advise us whether or not you wish to receive information on latest developments in neurotraumatology from AMN. This is so that we can respect your privacy about electronic communications, as required by European and Romanian law. Profile Information: We ask you for information about your Professional Activity, Place of Work, to enable us to provide you with more relevant information and to understand the preferences of our audience better so that we can give a better service generally. Other Personal Information Other information may be requested, which is necessary or relevant for specific activities. AMN carries out such a wide variety of activities that it is not practical to provide an exhaustive list, but here are some examples of mandatory information for specific purposes:
- Curriculum vitae, list of publications and other evidence of scientific achievement is requested to support applications for Membership of specific AMN Working Groups, Committees, panels, task forces, and AMN Grants and Research Fellowships.
- Affiliation information (to an organization) is required for all persons wishing to submit an abstract or blog article.
- Professional status (together with proof) is requested for all persons requesting certain fees (e.g. specific registration fees for congresses and events).
- Detailed Financial and Position of Influence information is requested for persons required to complete AMN Declarations of Interest. (i.e. persons holding AMN office or representing AMN).
- Other information is also collected in an automated manner when you use AMN website about your computer and about your visits to and use of AMN website.
This information can be only made available by you, in the “Message to AMN” section from the registration form.
- Telephone and Fax information – to enable us to contact you rapidly in case of need.
- Subscriptions to the newsletter and email notifications enable you to request to receive regular AMN newsletters and email alerts on selected neurology topics.
- Information on Fields of Interest and Areas of Expertise – to enable us to provide you with more relevant information and to understand the preferences of our audience better so that we can give a better service generally.
How AMN uses personal information
Personal information is needed by AMN to enable it to manage its member and customer files properly. These files are used to allow AMN to fulfil its role in providing a wide range of services to its members, contributors and customers. The personal information which you supply may also be used explicitly to:
- Process an application for Fellowship or Membership to an AMN Working Group, Committee, panel, task force, Assembly of Delegates.
- Process an application for an AMN grant, fellowship or other awards.
- Process a registration for an AMN congress, meeting, course and other events (both at a physical location and online). Congress badges, online access to courses, etc. and certificates of attendance also require the nominative information supplied.
- Handle attendance at a networking event at an AMN congress, meeting or other events.
- Process registration(s) or hotel request(s) for another person(s) if you are acting on behalf of a third party or parties.
- Handle scientific programme activities in connection with AMN congresses and meetings. These include abstract submission and reviewing process, speaker and chairperson management, handling of agreement forms, preparation of the scientific programme, presentation management onsite, and publication of the scientific content on the AMN website.
- Handle specific processes for AMN leadership and volunteers representing AMN, including hotel accommodation, expense claims and Register of Interest.
- Manage access to restricted content on the AMN website (certain resources are only available to persons with defined membership status, etc.).
- Enable individual communications with you about specific matters – e.g. sending confirmations, receipts, requesting further information to solve queries, responding to AMN Helpdesk Requests, etc. and sending emails to you with information about AMN activities which we believe will be of interest to you (subject to your prior consent to receive AMN generated emails).
- Send electronic newsletters and notifications (alerts) to you (where you have subscribed to receive them).
How long personal information is kept
Personal information is only kept for a reasonable period of time, dependent upon the nature of the information and its intended use. Exceptionally, nominative information (only) is kept indefinitely for persons:
- Who have had leadership positions in AMN (AMN and AMN Board and Committee listings).
- Who have submitted, and had accepted, or contributed to scientific content for congresses, events, journals, guidelines, etc. (The nominative information is kept to reference it and to be used with published material, and to be accessed when those materials are researched or viewed).
If you are an AMN Member, your information will be kept in the AMN system while you continue to be a Member, even if you do not use AMN products or services during that time unless you request us not to keep it, in which case your membership of the AMN will cease).
Electronic communication is for most purposes AMN’s preferred method of communication because it is generally convenient, rapid, effective and efficient. In order to be able to communicate with you directly electronically, AMN needs your email address. You are therefore required to supply your email address when you apply for membership on the AMN Website, which enables you to access a variety of services online.
Unique Email Address
For your convenience and security, your email address is unique to you in the system (AMN does not permit two different persons to have the same email address in the system). You are strongly recommended to use an email address which is personal to you, and that is not shared with others. This is to ensure that others do not read communications which are sent to you personally.
AMN respects the privacy of personal email addresses and complies with the current European legislation on email communication. The objective is not to send you unwanted messages, and your email details will not be passed on to any other individual or organization without your permission. Without your specific ‘Opt-In’ to receive mailings from AMN, you may receive emails concerning:
- Products and services similar to those you have already received from AMN.
- If you are a Member of an AMN Working Groups, Committees, panels, task forces (whose benefits to Members include email newsletters, etc.), activities or scientific information specifically concerning the Association or Working Groups, Committees, panels, task forces, of which you are a Member.
All mailings sent to you offer the possibility to unsubscribe.
Disclosure of information and Marketing
AMN does not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. Otherwise, AMN does not disclose personal information to any other person or organization without your consent. In this context, your personal data may be disclosed to the following external partners of AMN in the circumstances described below:
- Agencies handling AMN managed hotel bookings: Nominative information is provided to the official AMN hotel agency where AMN handles hotel bookings for a particular congress or event.
- Groups representatives and Agencies handling your congress or event registration: Where your registration is handled by someone other than yourself, your confirmations, badges, or vouchers may be sent to this third party. These contain nominative details about you.
- Travel agency handling flight and hotel bookings on behalf of AMN Leadership and volunteers engaged in AMN business: Appropriate personal information is transferred to the travel agency handling these bookings.
- AMN Leadership assessing AMN Membership and committee applications: An application to become an AMN Member of individual AMN bodies (e.g. AMN Working Groups, Committees, panels, and task-forces) requires the submission of a CV, publication list and, sometimes, other elements to support the application. This information, together with nominative information concerning the applicant, is assessed by a leading neurologist or committee of neurologists, prior to acceptance or refusal of the application.
- AMN Leadership assessing applications for AMN Grants, Training Fellowships or other awards: An application for an AMN Grant or other award requires the submission of appropriate career and additional information to support the application. This information is made available to the committee of neurologists responsible for assessing the applications and making the awards.
Right of access to your AMN information
You have the absolute right to access, amend, and oppose the use of your personal data. If you want to know exactly what personal information AMN holds on you, you can obtain it. If it transpires that the information is inaccurate, or you wish to oppose its use in future, AMN will make the necessary amendments and confirm that these have been made. Please contact AMN in writing (accompanied by proof of identity) at:
The Academy for Multidisciplinary Neurotraumatology – Data Privacy
37 Mircea Eliade Street
Or via email to our Head office – firstname.lastname@example.org.
To protect your information, AMN uses an industry-standard security protocol called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encrypt the transmission of sensitive information between you and our website. SSL is used; for example, when you apply for membership on the AMN website. To know if transmissions are encrypted, look for the lock on your web browser or check that the URL starts with https://.
Google Analytics provides statistical data collection as a service – using a third-party cookie to track you. All data is being collected in an anonymized form to analyze traffic to our website and plan updates and improvements according to actual usage. The collected data is transmitted to, stored and analyzed on Google Analytics servers which are located in a third-party country, i.e. the U.S.A. The relationship with Google Analytics is based on its certification under the US Privacy Shield, which ensures they obey the European General Data Protection Regulations. To opt-out of Google Analytics, please follow the official instructions by Google. Google Analytics is operated by:
Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States
Managing your contact with the AMN
Access to Personalized Services
You do not need to register to access most of the AMN Website, but you do have to register to use personal services online and access certain web content. The details you supply AMN may be combined with information from other AMN records to:
- Save you having to keep giving the same information for different AMN services;
- Allow you to access specific web content reserved for users;
- Help you to get more out of AMN by keeping you up to date about AMN activities, scientific developments, and products and services by email. (Note: This is an ‘Opt-In’ service only – for more information, please go to the section Email Addresses);
- Access to your personal information.